Monday, January 18, 2016

Relatives and Court

I had gotten a text a few weeks ago saying that Elmer's parents had named a relative that may take him. 


On Friday, January 8, I received a phone call from the guardian ad litem (GAL) asking how Elmer was doing.  I'm sure it was no coincidence that court was the following Monday. 




Side note: From what I have read on others' blogs, I believe in some states the GAL is a lawyer.  In this state, the GAL is a volunteer from the community who is supposed to talk to everyone and determine what is in the best interest of the child. 


She told me that the relative that was possibly going to take Elmer had backed out, and so she wasn't sure that court would even be held. 


I showed up anyway on Monday, January 11, and his mom was there.  In the list of things in the agreement, I noticed that it did not include the standard "will maintain stable housing, submit to random drug screens, attend parenting classes, etc".  I found out on Friday, January 15 when JATH visited our home that was because Elmer's parents were not going to have a treatment plan.  I was a little blown away by that, as it seems parents often get way too many chances, but I am not sure if the parents declined a treatment plan or if DSS would not offer one. 


In court, I also learned that a homestudy would be done on one of Elmer's relatives.  At first, I thought this was the same relative who was going to take him from the NICU and then changed their mind.  At JATH's visit, I learned that this is now a different relative.  Even so, all I can think is, "Where has this person been for the last almost three and a half months?!"  And I'm still not clear on if this is a different relative from the one the GAL thought had backed out, or if the GAL was just mistaken in thinking they had backed out. 


JATH told me on Friday that they are still trying to get in touch with the relative to set up the homestudy.  They did not call it an "expedited" homestudy, so I think DSS has 60 days to complete it?  So now we just wait and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment