Saturday, January 23, 2016

They Just Don't Know

Elmer's mom called JATH and asked for a visit with him.  She set it up for Friday.  Since I was off of work, I said that I would at least take him to the visit and meet the mom.  I debated whether I should go back into the visit or just wait in the lobby.  I asked a couple of foster mom friends who have taken kids to visits (Sunshine always picked up Evie from school and took her to the visits; I did take Tigger to the visit with his relatives, but just dropped him off.)  One said that she typically stays in the lobby and reads a book during the visit.  The other says if she takes the child, she goes back to the visit with them and tries to engage the parent, "because, you know, I have their kid."  I had decided that I would go back for at least 10 or 15 minutes and then I would see how it was going to decide if I would stay longer.  I printed out a few cute pictures of Elmer for his mom. 


And then she didn't show up. 


I'm so glad that Elmer had no clue that she had not come. 


JATH also told me today that the relative they were supposed to do the home study on was not interested in a home study.  From what I gather, the mom named this relative but the relative never consented to take Elmer.  She said she is not capable of caring for a baby (and for a legitimate reason). 


Even though I understand the relative's reasoning, she and Elmer's mom just have no idea what they are missing out on with this precious baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment