Thursday, October 30, 2014

She Doesn't Know How

Evie is always drawing.  Or coloring.  Or playing on the MagnaDoodle.

I thought it was just that she likes to draw (which she does).  But now I think it is more than that. 

In recent days, I have decided that I will try to direct her play sessions more, rather than let her always choose to color.  That I will tell her during some playtimes that she has to find something to play other than coloring/drawing. 

Tonight I did just that.  I told her she needed to find something to play while I was cooking dinner, other than coloring.  She stayed in the living room for a few minutes, then came into the kitchen.  I asked her what she was playing.  She said, "Nothing."  I said she needed to go back and find something to play.  When I asked what she chose, she said some spinning tops that her mom had given her (that can only be done on the kitchen floor because the rest of the house is carpeted).  I said she needed to pick something else.  She has Barbies with furniture, clothes, and shoes; Ponies with brushes and hair accessories; a sandwich-making kit; babies with a carrier backpack and fake food/bottles; a dollhouse with people/animals to go in it, as well as a car that matches.  She chose the babies, and I went back into the kitchen to finish dinner.  When I came back, she was lying on the floor with the baby, but doing nothing with it.  ***LIGHT BULB*** She doesn't know HOW to play something by herself!  I'm pretty sure she is able to play with other kids; and has played things with me (although she usually chooses to play a game, rather than just creative play).  But she doesn't know what to do with toys when she is by herself. 

So we talked about what she could do with the babies.  And I told her she needed to stay downstairs and play while I went to give the baby a bath (she usually goes with me to hang out while he is bathing).  She FINALLY took the baby's clothes off, changed its diaper, put the bib on and fed it, and rocked it. 

I guess I have a lot of work to do to try to teach her how to play with toys.  And we will definitely have more structured solo playtime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment