Monday, October 13, 2014

Court for Tank

Court for Tank's parents was last Friday. 

Called "trial on the merits," this is the first trial for the parents, to determine what the treatment plan is - i.e. what they have to do to get their kid back.  I have been told that sometimes this trial can drag out - be "continued" - for several months, if the parents don't agree with the treatment plan, request a new lawyer, etc.

The home studies of both Tank's paternal grandmother and his maternal great-grandparents (Mom is 17 so it's definitely possible they are around 50) were denied. Court started with Dad's lawyer asking for the judge to still consider placing Tank with the grandmother.  There was some discussion about if Tank should be placed with her that day, judge talked to grandma, and ultimately said, "I'm not inclined to place him with the paternal grandmother at this time." 

I would probably like to adopt one of these kiddos if the opportunity presents itself and if the situation is right.  I have read lots of blogs about foster care.  I distinctly remember reading one blog (I think from my friend Mimi over at I Must Be Trippin') saying that she was able to emotionally handle things much better once she started looking at each placement with the attitude of, "They are here for a time and I'll love them while they are here", rather than an immediate, "Based on what the caseworkers are saying, maybe I'll get to adopt this one."  I have tried to look at the whole foster care situation with this attitude.  It's been easy with Evie because I still feel certain she will go back with her mom at some point; with Tank it's been a little more difficult, but I still have really tried to look at it as a temporary situation.  But I have to admit that when they were discussing placing Tank with his grandmother "TODAY", I had a total moment of anxiety thinking, "Oh my gosh; they might take my baby today!" 

Mom's lawyer said that although the maternal great-grandparents were denied due to some issues with the house itself, they had corrected these issues and they were requesting a repeat inspection of the home.  So there is still a possibility that he will be placed with them.  (Although I don't know that DSS is under any time constraint to get this done, as they already did the initial home study within the court-ordered 10 days - due to Tank's age).  Obviously if they are approved, he would go with them at that time.  If they are not, then I would guess he will be here at least six months based on the list of things the parents have to do.  The guardian ad litem (GAL) seems to think that the parents are very motivated and will complete their treatment plan fairly quickly; but with a situation like this, I think you just never can predict...

No comments:

Post a Comment