Tuesday, August 5, 2014

You Live, You Learn

About a week and a half ago, Evie's daycare called me - at 3:30 - and said they didn't think she felt very well... that she hadn't eaten lunch or snack, had been coughing all day, and didn't sleep at nap because she was coughing too much.  When I picked her up, she looked and sounded pitiful.  She was coughing non-stop, her eyes were red and watering, and she could barely keep them open.  I took her to the doctor, she was having an asthma exacerbation, he gave her some steroids, and she was feeling much better by the next morning.  Just in time for me to end up with a low-grade fever and feel like crap all weekend. 

She had a follow-up appointment a week later (Friday), and the doctor said she sounded good even though she was occasionally coughing once or twice at a time. 

The last couple of days, her coughing has increased and I have had to use the rescue inhaler in the middle of the night.  I decided to go ahead and take her to the doctor this morning to try to catch it before it turned into another asthma exacerbation.  He said she only had one little wheeze when he listened, it probably was just another cold, and just to use the rescue inhaler four times a day for this week. 

Then I picked her up from daycare today, and she was coughing non-stop.  This evening she looked exactly what she looked like a week and a half ago - her eyes swollen, red, and watering.  I guess there may be another doctor visit in our future tomorrow morning. 

I am not the kind of person to run to the doctor the minute there's a little something wrong with me.  I don't want to be the kind of parent to go running to the doctor unnecessarily, either.  But I don't want to mess around with the asthma... and obviously she needed to go the other week when she ended up on steroids.  Apparently trying to stay on top of things today is not going to prevent a doctor's visit tomorrow.  You live, you learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment