Monday, August 11, 2014

Music Monday: The Best of What's Around

I was listening to this Dave Matthews Band song last week, and one line really struck me. 
 
If you hold on tight to what you think is your thing, you may find you're missing all the rest. 
 
 
I've always liked the rest of this song
 
"Turns out not where but who you're with that really matters"
 
"And if nothing can be done, we'll make the best of what's around"
 
"See you and me have a better time than most can dream"
 
I've always been one to make the best of the situation, to believe that everything ALWAYS works out the way it is supposed to in the end, to surround myself with positive people like myself who would make me laugh in a terrible situation rather than help me stew in my misery, and to truly love and enjoy life. 
 
 
But that one line If you hold on tight to what you think is your thing, you may find you're missing all the rest hit me the last time I heard this song. 
 
I have always believed that one day I would have a husband and kids.  (Side note: I have never felt an overwhelming desire to BEAR those children.  I always knew that kid[s] might come to me in a non-traditional way.)  Maybe I still will have that.  But my vision of kids linked with a marriage prevented me from taking the leap into foster parenting for a long time.  I felt like if I made the decision to do the "kid" thing without a husband, I was also actively making the decision to give up on the dream of having that husband.  But what if THIS is the wonderful life that was planned for me?  And better yet, what if THIS is the path that leads to the partner that is meant for me?  What if I would have missed out on the best part of life ("all the rest") by not making this decision ("hold on tight to what [I] think is [my] thing")?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment