Friday, February 28, 2014

Some Progress

This week (after hounding the caseworker multiple times), I got a call from her saying that the state was asking for four additional pieces of information - three of which I had already submitted to the county and/or that were not my responsibility in the first place.  The last was the third page of the financial information section - which said at the top "Applicable if Adopting."  I didn't fill this out because I am only applying for fostering.  Apparently they still wanted it. 

The last thing the state asking about was the fact that the home study said there was a Pack 'n Play; and they wanted to know if there was a crib available.  When the initial licensing worker came back in September, I asked if I needed to get a crib or if a Pack 'n Play was sufficient.  She said the Pack 'n Play was fine; the child just needed a place to sleep.  Now the caseworker is saying that they really like there to be a crib.  She also said that if the Pack 'n Play hadn't been mentioned in the home study, they probably wouldn't be asking additional questions.  So I shot myself in the foot when I was confused and asked Home Study Lady if she needed to look at the room; if I had never mentioned it, she wouldn't have even gone upstairs and this wouldn't be an issue.  My caseworker said that she would write that a crib would be obtained if needed. 

Now I'm not sure how to handle the whole situation.  The room is not big enough for the twin bed, dresser, and crib.  I could move the dresser to the other room, and get a crib to go in the kids' room and just be ready for whatever age and not have to go run out and get a crib when I get the call for a kiddo.  I could leave everything as-is, and get a crib later if needed and wait to make the decision on what to move out of the room until that time.  Decisions, decisions...

Wow, I can't believe how clear and well-organized this whole process is!  I would love to get my hands on their checklists and forms and requirements and processes, and revamp them all to be correct! 

So by yesterday morning, my caseworker should have had everything she needed.  (Well, she should have had everything she needed a month ago, but...)  At least she has everything she needs, until the next time someone realizes something is still not complete. 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe consider a mini crib. I've been fostering for 9 years and have always had 2 cribs set up in my home, but I had been letting the newborns sleep in the bassinet part of my pack-n-play (because cribs are so big) and to my surprise I got wrote up for that. No one ever told me that a baby can not sleep in a pack-n-play. I had been doing that with all my newborns for over 8 years and no one ever said anything until a surprise home check last March (with a new lady). She walked through our home and pitched a fit. I also got wrote up for my crib bumpers. That is a no no in GA. I had always had crib bumpers....grrrrr The state walks through and checks my home every month at least once and more often depending on how many kids/case workers I have. I wish you all the best. Fostering is one of the hardest things I've ever done but also one of my biggest blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to look into that.
      It does seem that they would get it together and have everyone on the same page as far as what is and isn't allowed...

      Delete
    2. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I checked on it, and a mini crib will work perfectly!! Same size as the pack 'n play (and will use the same size mattress that I have), but a "crib"! I'm still debating about whether to go with a fold-up one, or a standard one. I looked at a fold-up in the store today and the sides that fold are pretty rattle-y once it's assembled. How easy is it to disassemble the regular mini crib to move out of the room if I don't have a baby and want more space?

      Delete
  3. I bought one that folds. I bought the "Dream On Me" brand and it is very sturdy. It was a pain to put together but it folds and rolls very nicely. I added a thicker mattress for comfort. It really takes up about the space of a pack-n-play. Yet I don't have to take it down and put it up every time a new baby comes. I simply fold and roll it in and out.

    ReplyDelete