Saturday, May 7, 2016

Meet Elmer



For anyone new to the blog, this is 7-month old Elmer. 
7-month old with a high-risk history who has just started getting up on his hands and knees, and who has just learned to purposefully put his bib up over his face and pull it back down to play peek-a-boo. 
7-month old who is now one of the most "chill" babies I have ever seen, but once was a 6-week old who was never fully settled. 
7-month old who smiles all. the. time. but whose adorable smile I can't show you.  :(

Elmer is the fifth foster child that has been placed with me.  He is the first one that has had a primary plan of adoption.  The next step is another merits hearing that will be scheduled for dad in June sometime (he has not showed up for the first two).  The caseworker thinks they will be asking for recommendation of TPR (termination of parental rights) as well during that court date.  This case is going on way too long for one where the parents aren't even being given a treatment plan.

3 comments:

  1. Here via Kelly's corner. I'm 36 and this Thursday completes my 10th class of foster parenting training. I have to sell a condo in a different county in order to by one in the county where I've been training. I'm planning on birth to 4 years olds, I'm so excited to find your blog since you're ahead of me on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Glad you found me! What state are you in? Are you also single? I would love to hear about your experiences. I am hoping to be able to adopt Elmer, but I always tell people that you can't go into foster care with the primary goal of adopting. If you do, you set yourself up for continuous frustration, unnecessary heartache, and anger (since almost always the primary goal is reunification, at least initially).

      Delete
    2. Hi! I'm in NC and yes I'm single. My primary goal is to foster, at this point in time I'm feeling called to be the foster mom. If down the road adoption came up I would really have to think long and hard and it would require a LOT of prayer.

      Delete