Thursday, March 12, 2015

Conversations with Evie Today

We were talking about how one of Evie's friends is homeschooled - that her school is at her house and her mom is her teacher.  She said, "I want to go to school at home."  I said, "You can't because I have to go to work, and there would be no one to teach you." She responded with, "Someone could come and babysit me and do it.... Maybe Opa [my dad] can do it." 

I just hope that she doesn't talk her mom into actually homeschooling her when/if she goes home, or to having any family member do it.  The child had NO academic exposure when she came to me at 4 1/2 years old, so obviously her mom and/or family are not good teachers (or even teachers at all).  And from what I have observed, the intelligence level is not very high there. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
In the car today, Evie said, "Next week is the first day of spring.  Yay!  I get to be with my mommy on spring.  I'm so excited because it's almost time that I go back with my mommy!" 
 
She just had a visit with her mom today, so I wasn't sure what was said.  "Who told you that?"
 
"You said that."
 
Ummmm, "No, I didn't say that, sweetheart." 
 
"Yes, you did.  At Aunt C's house."  [I'm pretty sure the conversation she is referring to was when my aunt said she could come over and swim in her lake during the summer.  When Evie asked me if she could come swim in the lake in the summer, I believe I said, "I don't know if you're still going to be with me in the summer."]
 
"And my mommy said that one time on the phone, too."  [I do remember her mom saying something referencing a time frame for her going home; I think it was something like, "You'll be back home by the summer."... I think both mom's and my comments were made in January, when we thought she would be going home at the end of that month.  Even though mine was non-committal, obviously Evie did not hear it as such.  Ohhhh, goodness.]
 
I had to explain that we didn't know when she would be going home and that it was up to the judge to decide that. 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 We also had a conversation today that we have had several times before.  Evie was saying that she wanted to marry her brother.  I said, "Remember, you can't marry people who are in your family."  Her response was, "Only my daddy can marry my mommy?"  [Her "daddy" is not her biological father, and he and her mom are not married.]  How do you explain to a five year old that marriage is what makes the daddy and mommy become family to each other, when her mom and dad aren't married but she knows they are all "family"?

No comments:

Post a Comment