Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Two More Months

I originally was under the impression that Evie would be with me at least eight weeks after the last minute screw-up.  I found out this week that it will be at least three months from that point, so court will not be held until sometime in May at the very earliest.  And I'm not sure what normally happens for first-time screw-ups like this, but I know that if I were the judge, I would say that the mom had to prove herself for more than those three months before she could get her kids back.

There has also been some discussion about Evie possibly moving to be with her brother in his foster home.  We could do this at any time (I even discussed with the caseworker and she felt like Evie's joy over being with her brother would more than make up for any negatives surrounding the move), but I have decided it would not be good for her to move in the middle of the school year, since she would have to change schools and she LOVES her school and teacher so much. 

So if the kids are still in care when school gets out, I think we will look at getting them back together in one home.  It can't be mine since I only have one bed (my second slot is for a crib infant).  And if they are still in care in June, that will probably mean that court was already held and the judge decided NOT to send them home at that time.  Plus, if the case ends up going to adoption, OFM (Other Foster Mom) said she would adopt both of them, so it would be best for Evie to be in that home before rights are terminated.  *Side note: For a long time, I said I was certain that Evie would go back to her mom; it was just a matter of when.  Now... I'm just not so sure.  It wouldn't surprise me if the case ended in termination.  Or if they were reunited and then returned to care at some point.  I hope that's not true for the kids' sake, but only time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment