Monday, June 30, 2014

If You Want Something Done Right...

...you've got to do it yourself.

Last week when Evie spent two nights at OFM's house, I sent her with three matching outfits (two for the days she would be there and one extra).  She ended up wearing some purple pants and a not-the-same-color-purple shirt together one day.  When I was packing her bag for her weeklong vacation with them this week, I grouped her clothes into matching shirts and shorts and a pair of underwear tucked inside each (OCD much?).  In my experience as a camp counselor, I have seen OCD organized moms pack just like I did, only to see from the counselor side that things didn't turn out like those moms intended - the kids wear the same shirt four days in a row (even though they have clean ones) or they wear clothes that don't come even close to matching.  So I realize that OFM is probably not as particular about the clothes as I am, but I'm sure Evie will have fun. 

I also have been waiting for Evie's immunization records, pretty much since she came to me.  I know that her caseworker specifically requested them from her old pediatrician's office at least three weeks ago.  She also requested the records from the DHEC office since she hadn't received them from the pediatric clinic and the clinic is only open two days a week.  She received the DHEC record, but it specifically said that it was not valid for entrance to school.  Today I went to the public school to try to enroll her in the 4k program, seeing if they would accept the DHEC record temporarily to at least get the ball rolling.  They said they could not accept the application at all until everything was complete, including the official immunization record; they also said that as a foster parent, I should be able to go to the pediatric clinic to request it.  I guess because the caseworker talked about requesting it from the clinic, I had in my head that the request for records had to come from DSS since they have official custody.  But once the school said that, I figured it made sense that I should be able to get the records since I have guardianship.  Today happened to be one of the two days that they are open during the week, so I called and they said that, yes, I could get the immunization record.  I also happened to have a large gap in my schedule today due to a couple of cancellations, so I ended up driving 20 minutes to the town where the clinic is and picked up the records.  What DSS could not accomplish in over six weeks, I was able to do in less than two hours.  Now at least I know that I can get records if I am to need them in the future. 

On the agenda tomorrow - go back to the school to take the application.  They told me today that they were not full, so I'm hoping that the fact that she is a foster child will qualify for the program (The program is based on "income."  I had to submit my income information, but also Evie's Medicaid card, so we will see how this process goes). 

No comments:

Post a Comment