Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Popo

As I have mentioned already, Evie is very anxious about the police.  This made sense to me being that the police are the ones who took her away from her family.  But there obviously was some other experience with "The Popo" based on some of the other anxieties she has about them.  Some examples of when the irrational fears have come up:
- Every time we pass a police car on the interstate, she gets very anxious and asks, "Is that the Popo?  Slow down!  We're going to get a ticket!"  It doesn't matter if we are going even below the speed limit; she is still worried.
- I was going down the aisle in the W*lmart parking lot and a car began backing up, not seeing my car.  I honked at the car to make sure they stopped.  Evie FREAKED out and started crying.  "Is the Popo going to come?"  "Is that car going to call the Popo?"  I asked why they would and she said, "Because you honked your horn!"
- I took her on a run and put her in the jogging stroller.  She's probably a little too big but she has asthma and can't run with me; and I haven't found a bike for her yet.  Before we left, and during the entire run/walk, she was VERY concerned that "the Popo" was going to get us.  I never figured out exactly why she thought that, other than the fact that she was in a stroller.
- We have several police that live in our neighborhood and they park their police cars here.  She often asks about the cars; and one day said, "I think someone called the Popo on someone else."  When I asked why, she said, "Because the Popo's car was in front of their house."
- I was in the bank parking lot and backing up; another very small car was backing up at the same time and we bumped each other.  I got out to talk to the girl (and we ended up deciding that the damage was so minor - just a few scratches - that we didn't need to get an accident report).  When I got back in the car, Evie was crying, worried that the girl was going to call the Popo.  (Okay, I guess that one was a legitimate concern!  Haha!)

I am wanting to write a general post describing how we are settling in.  Hopefully I'll get to that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment