Saturday, November 2, 2013

DHEC Inspection Complete and Packet Mailed

Yesterday, I had my DHEC inspection.  She checked for:
- poisons/cleaners locked up (I had childproof locks installed on all the cabinets)
- knives/sharp objects locked up (including the knife block, which I knew about ahead of time so I had moved to the cabinet above the sink)
- water temperature under 120 degrees (Thursday night I had turned the water heater down to where it indicated ~120 degrees, but the water was still 130 degrees when she tested it)
- current vaccination record of the cat
- childproofing of the child's bedroom and all bathrooms
- gun locked up (I don't have one)
- medicines in a locked box (I didn't know that - Meds were not addressed at all on the list of things they gave me for the DHEC inspection; and I also asked a couple at the class a couple of weeks ago who had already had their DHEC inspection - they said meds just had to be stored out of reach).
- Water and Sewer are sufficient (She didn't need to test since I have public water/sewer)
- Overall general cleanliness was sufficient

She said the two things that needed to be corrected won't keep me from getting my license; just that DSS is supposed to follow up on them. 

I also finished filling out the packet of information (except the medical report form) and got it into the mail yesterday. 
[I don't actually have a licensing worker right now... but I only know this by circumstance. I had called and emailed my licensing worker, M,  with a couple of questions about the paperwork a couple of weeks ago, but never got a response.  The facilitator of the class happened to mention that M got a new position.  I wasn't sure who to contact or how, since the only contact info I had was for M (she contacted me directly after she received my initial request info from the state Foster Care Association).  Then I remembered that there was a list of all the licensing workers on a letter that was sent to me to inform me when my fire inspection would be.  (Thank goodness I had saved it - situations like this confirm that it's smart to be a pack rat!)  I called the licensing supervisor, got my questions answered, and was told she hoped to have licensing workers assigned by the first of November]
All of that to say... who knows when the stuff I mailed in will get looked at/processed. 

Last Two Steps to Complete:
- Medical Exam/Report Sent In - Nov 8
- DSS Home Study - Not Scheduled Yet

I'm thinking end of November to be licensed... but really, what do I know?!

No comments:

Post a Comment