Monday, October 21, 2013

Q & A

Here's an (almost) copy of the email that I sent to family and friends a while back. 


-          What types of kids are in foster care?

Kids come into foster care when it is determined that it is not safe for their parents to continue having them in their custody.  Once a child is in foster care, they will get a case plan to determine what the long-range plan is for that child.  Options are: return to parent, relative gaining custody, permanent foster care, independent living (for older children who are close to aging out of the system and likely will not be adopted before they are 18 yrs old), or adoption.  My understanding is that the majority of the time, the long-range goal (at least at first) is return to parent.  In order for the child to return to the parent, he/she must fix whatever it is that caused them to be taken in the first place (i.e. stop using drugs, repair unsanitary/unsafe condition of the home, get rid of abusive boyfriend, etc).  Sometimes, this will not happen and the long-range plan is changed to adoption. 

-          How long do kids stay in foster care?

I think this varies greatly. Sometimes they are in care for a week or so until suitable relatives can be located/checked out to place them with.  Sometimes they are in care for many years.  And sometimes in between.  

-          Are you trying to foster a particular child?

No, I will just be fostering in general.  I will not know what child is coming until I get the phone call.  People typically get called when DSS needs a place for a child “right now” (“today” or “tomorrow”). 

-          Can you say what age/sex child you want?

Yes.  You can specify what age and sex child you will take.  I am looking to foster a child under 5 yrs old, either boy or girl (maybe two children in the future depending on how things go with one).  That is not written in stone yet as I am not licensed.  I think the license is based on what your home (physically and family) is capable of handling. 

-          What do you need from us?

Mostly your support.  :)   I have most things that I need at this point but if anyone local has clothes they would like to donate for boy or girl, newborn to 5T/6T (except I am good with Boys Winter 3T and Girls Winter 4T), I would be appreciative of those.  My understanding is that many times the child shows up with just the clothes on their back and nothing else.  I also gather that when/if the child goes back to their parents or relative, many foster parents send them with a supply of clothes, etc.  I do have a basic supply of various size clothes (1 or 2 outfits for each size) but it would be nice to not have to buy a wardrobe when a child gets here. 

 

Thanks for following along with me! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment